Fires have become one of the leading causes of both industrial and domestic disasters all over the world today. They are a significant issue especially in areas with petrol stations, schools, and malls. So evidently, a good fire suppression system is essential for every building today to combat the fire. Even a spark from an electric gadget can cause a great fire, and you need to be prepared beforehand. When it comes to preventing or minimising the damage from fires, having the right fire suppression systems can make a big difference.
Even more discouraging is that a large majority of businesses that suffer a fire, wind up closing or filing for bankruptcy within a year of the fire. But, the most distressing aspect is that many workplace fires could have been prevented, or significantly minimised had a fire suppression system been in place. Every year, there are thousands of dollars spent on recovering from workplace related fires. However, when companies are willing to take steps to minimise fire, the amount spent could be much less.
Benefits of fire suppression systems
- The very first reason for you to have such a system is, of course, to save as many lives and as much property as possible. These systems work very efficiently and rapidly to extinguish the fire using either water or gas or foam, making sure the flame doesn’t spread.
- The second benefit of these systems is by their automatic functioning. Most systems today come with built-in smoke detectors which, when they register the slightest changes in temperature or composition in the environment, immediately deploy fire-fighting mechanisms to curb the fire before it starts to spread. They also raise the alarm to enable evacuation, saving both lives and property.
- Another great benefit is that most fire suppression systems work in a way to ensure minimal damage to your surroundings. Gas systems particularly can extinguish a fire without damaging equipment and objects within the room. This makes these systems ideal for areas and facilities where water damage from water sprinklers can be risky and very expensive. However, even water mist systems do work to ensure limited damage.
- Easy installation and space saving is another advantage that these systems offer. In buildings where space is limited, FM 200 systems are a good choice as they take up much less storage space. Most systems are also easy to maintain and work.
- Most systems, particularly water mist systems use safer means of extinguishing. They use no toxic substances, and with this, they do not pose a threat to human life or the environment. Carbon Dioxide systems use CO2, but they bring down oxygen levels enough only to extinguish the flame and not cause suffocation to people.
Always take the time to ensure that you are protected against any and all fire threats, even if that means buying three or four different types of fire suppression systems for your business or home. Usually, some solutions will be effective in helping fight all kinds of fires, allowing you to purchase fewer systems and get more protection at the same time.